Christmas-time is usually when all the cookie baking and exchanging madness starts. But despite the craziness of the season, it is still so much fun! Every year, my daughters and I bake cookies for their school friends. They also do cookie exchanges at one friend’s house, where everybody brings their favorite recipes. They bake all the different types, and then later get to take some of each other’s cookies home. Best part of the season, I tell ya 🙂
Now, at our house, this trend has started during the summer vacations too. As my younger daughter says, “Spread the cookie love!” So here is one of their favorite recipes for chocolate chip cookies with some healthy ingredient swaps 🙂
Oat flour: ¾ cup Oat flour or ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats, ground in a food processor or blender until very fine
All-purpose flour: 1 cup
Baking powder: ½ t
Baking soda: ½ t
Salt: ½ t
Light brown sugar: ½ cup
Granulated sugar: ½ cup
Vanilla essence: ¾ t
Semisweet chocolate chips: 1/3 cup
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put the oat flour, regular flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Mix it with a fork.
- Using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugars at medium speed for about 2-3minutes.
- Scrape the sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Then add egg and vanilla; continue beating for about 30 seconds.
- Scrape sides of bowl. Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add chocolate chips and just stir to combine. Do not over mix.
- Take about a tablespoon of cookie dough at a time, form balls and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between them. (Keep remaining batter cool in refrigerator while first batch cooks.)
- Bake, reversing position of cookie sheets halfway through baking, until edges of cookies begin to crisp but centers are still soft, about 13-15 minutes.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets for 1 minute before transferring to cooling racks with a large spatula.
Serving Size: 16 extra-large thick cookies
Serving Size: 32 regular large cookies
Per serving (if making 16): Calories 171 cal, Fat 9.3 g, Sat Fat 0.6 g, Carbs 20.3 g, Sugar 11.5 g
Per serving (if making 32): Calories 85 cal, Fat 4.6 g, Sat Fat 0.3 g, Carbs 10.2 g, Sugar 5.8 g
Pingback: Super Bowl Menu of Healthy Recipes! | Healthy Eats For All