No matter what anyone says, Super Bowl day is hands down the day for some really yummy Buffalo wings 🙂 I will certainly have a bunch of other great appetizers for the party but people always ask “Where are the Buffalo wings?” Super bowl party does not seem complete without them.
For the past few weeks, I have been messing around with the infamous Instant Pot (yes, I finally caved in and bought it). With my new toy, I have been experimenting with how to easily cook some healthy dishes. So, I thought I would take a crack at how to “Healthify” Buffalo wings also. Several people have already tried it. The one that inspired me was at TheKitchenwhisperer. I have made my own tweaks to that recipe. I wanted a recipe that would be succulent and yet crispy, just like the restaurant fried wings. Just 8 minutes in an instant pot takes care of keeping them succulent and then I just broil them in the oven for 10-12 minutes and that’s it! Folks! In about 30 minutes, you can have restaurant quality wings without the frying…you HAVE to try them!
Some people have asked me why bother making wings at home, since it seems like a lot of work. My reasons are two-fold. Yes, there is some work involved but the returns are so finger licking fabulous 🙂 First of all, we have been eating clean and buying organic meat for about 10 years now. So when we order food from a restaurant, maybe it’s me but I definitely wonder about the quality of meat they used. Sometimes it’s unavoidable to eat outside. But now that I’ve figured out this recipe, I can have control over the quality of meat. And secondly, I can avoid deep frying it, saving a ton of unhealthy fats and calories!! But the best, avoid the guilty feeling after eating the fried wings:)
Depending upon what your choice of sauce is, you can try variations. We like the Franks Buffalo sauce for our wings and it hits just the right spice notes for us. You can substitute BBQ sauce or any other spicy sauce of your choice. Try some of these other appetizers like Quinoa and Cauliflower buffalo bites, Restaurant style Salsa & Guacamole, Spicy Hummus, Crispy Baked Cajun Potato Fries, also for your Super Bowl party or any other party!
Hope you give it a try and do post comments below if you try it 🙂
- Organic chicken wings – 1 lb./1 regular tray
- Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Franks Buffalo sauce – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup (if using frozen wings omit water)
- Wash the wings and keep separately. (Unfortunately I could not find the regular small wings and these were huge!)
- Add the butter and sauce to the Instant Pot (IP) at the sauté setting (less).
- Once it melts, add the water and chicken wings. Stir it so that the wings are coated with the sauce.
- Set the IP at pressure cooker for 8 minutes.
- In the meantime set the oven at broil.
- And you can get the tray ready in the meantime for putting the wings in the oven. Just cover a cookie baking pan with foil to avoid cleanup. Then put a couple of cookie cooling racks on top or a single one if you have the right size!
- Once the 8 minutes of the IP are done it will beep. Then you can do a quick pressure release by turning the nozzle of the weight towards the venting side. It will take about 1-2 minutes and all the pressure will be released.
- Then you take the wings out and lay them on the tray you have set up with the foil.
- Put them in the oven which should be all set at the broiling temp. Keep them inside for 5-6 minutes. Then take them out, flip and keep them again for another 5-6 minutes or a bit more till they seem crispy.
- While the wings are in the oven, put the IP on the sauté setting and reduce the sauce a bit.
- Once wings are crispy from the oven, dip them in the thickened sauce and serve!
- Enjoy them with celery/carrots with ranch dressing!