One common request that I have gotten from my vegetarian readers is to post some recipes that include tofu. I use tofu in a lot of ways at home in a variety of cuisines, ranging from Indian, to Chinese, to Mexican, and even Italian! This particular recipe is versatile in the sense that you can add whatever vegetables you might have at home. Normally, I would add some mushrooms or broccoli in addition to the veggies listed below, but I did not have any at the time, so I skipped them. But feel free to add whatever veggies you prefer! This recipe is perfect for those leftover veggies etc. that you might have in your fridge 🙂 Generally, I try to keep the ratio of quinoa to vegetables approximately 1:1. Be creative 🙂
This dish is fantastic eaten either hot or cold. It’s full of protein, fiber, and vitamin A – and it can work as a snack or as a side dish to a meal. It is also great to take to picnics or pack for school lunches. Kids and adults alike will love it! If you keep leftover cooked quinoa in the freezer like I do (check out my Tips & Tricks Page to see how to do this), then making this recipe is a total breeze! By the time you are done chopping the veggies, the quinoa can be thawed and the dish will be ready in less than 20-30 minutes! The best part is that you can make this dish itself in bulk and it keeps really well in the fridge/freezer.
This dish is great for vegans, vegetarians, and even meat eaters! It is incredibly filling, flavorful, and nutritious. Please try it and let me know what you think 🙂
Cooked Organic Quinoa – 2 cups
Organic Extra Firm Tofu – 7 oz. or half package (diced)
Peas – 1/3 cup
Carrot – 1/3 cup or ½ carrot (diced)
Onion – ½ (diced)
Ginger – 1” finely minced
Garlic – 1 clove finely minced
Green bell pepper – ¼ cup (diced)
Red bell pepper – ¼ cup (diced)
Grapeseed or Canola oil – 1 Tbs
Soy sauce – 1 Tbs
Sriracha sauce/Chilli paste – 2 tsp
Rice vinegar – 2 tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
- Cook the quinoa and cool it.
- Make sure all the veggies and tofu are diced to a similar size.
- Take a wok or big enough pan, heat it. Add oil and once oil is warm add diced tofu in it.
- Cook the tofu till it turns slightly brown. Drain it out and leave the oil in the pan.
- In that same oil sauté the ginger garlic first for 30 seconds.
- Then add the onions, carrots, bell peppers, peas and tofu. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooled quinoa to the veggies and mix well.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha sauce and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the above sauce mix to the quinoa mix and mix well.
- Adjust the salt and Sriracha according to your taste.
- Enjoy as a snack, side dish or as part of a meal with some chicken etc.
Total Servings: 4 cups
Serving Size: 1 cup
Per Serving: 195 cal, Fat 7.6 g, cholesterol 0 mg, Carbs 23 g, fiber 4 g, Sugar 1.2 g, Protein 8.7 g, Vit A 41%, Calcium 10%, Iron 13%
PS. This recipe has been shared with the No Waste Food Challenge with Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary and Credit Crunch Munch hosted by Michelle at Utterly Scrummy Food for Families and Helen at Fuss Free Flavours