When I crave something sweet, I prefer that it has at least some nutritional benefit to offset my guilt afterwards 🙂 So either the dessert will have plenty of fiber, low sugar, low calories, or some protein. In this case, these moist, decadent chocolate chip brownies fulfill multiple requirements! Not only are they low in sugar, fat, and calories, but they are also a decent source of protein too, making them perfect!
You can swap the semi-sweet chocolate for mint or dark chocolate and sprinkle mint chocolate chips on top for Mint Chocolate Chip protein brownies! Feel free to add sliced almonds or walnut pieces for an added crunch. I hope you will try these and enjoy them like everyone in my house does 🙂
Chocolate protein powder (I used Vega plant based protein smoothie choc-a-lot but you can use any other protein powder) – 1 scoop
Oat flour – ½ cup
Almond flour – ½ cup
Organic egg whites – 3
Brown sugar – ¼ + 1/8 cup
Baking soda – ½ t
Canola oil – 7 T
Salt – ¼ t
Semi- sweet Chocolate chips – 5 oz.
Vanilla extract – ½ t
Mini Chocolate chips – 1 T
· Preheat the oven to 350 F.
· Take an 8 x 8 x 2 in pan or 11 x 7 x 1.5 in.
· Line with aluminum foil and lightly grease with canola oil.
· Using the double boiler method melt (Heat some water in a large pan, put a shallow bowl with the oil and semi-sweet chocolate chips on top. Water should not touch the bowl. Keep stirring till chocolate melts) the 5 oz. chocolate along with the oil. Let it cool.
· Whisk the 3 egg whites in the mixer, and then add brown sugar and mix for another minute or so till well blended.
· Add the melted chocolate and vanilla extract to it and mix for 30 seconds.
· Mix all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl using a fork.
· Add the dry ingredients to chocolate mix and whisk for 30 seconds, not too much.
· At the end add ½ T mini chocolate chips in mixture, mix for a second.
· Pour the mix into the greased aluminum foil lined pan. Sprinkle the rest ½ T mini chocolate chips on top.
· Bake for 30-35 min till a toothpick inserted in center comes out dry.
· Let it cool on a wire rack for 10-15 min, then lift the whole brownie by aluminum foil and place on cutting board and slice into pieces.
Total Servings: 16
Per Serving: Calories: 153 cal, Fat 10.6 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbs 12 g, Sugar 8.7 g, Protein 3.1 g