Tabbouleh salad is one of those versatile salads that can be used as a condiment, a side dish with grilled meats or veggies, an addition to wraps or Falafel, or even as a salad*! So it can adapt to whatever you have planned for the menu 🙂
This version has been made with cracked wheat but I have also substituted cooked quinoa for the wheat whenever I have any left over from a previous dish. Using quinoa will also make this dish gluten-free! You can increase or decrease the quantities of any of the ingredients depending upon your taste. Like I said, it’s very versatile. You can’t go wrong with it 🙂
*If you want to eat this salad as a complete meal, you can add canned or boiled chickpeas (however much you want) to make it more filling and to give it a new twist.
Bulgur/Cracked wheat – 2 T uncooked or 7T of pre-cooked cracked/bulgur wheat or quinoa
Onion – ¼ of a medium onion or 2 green onions finely diced
Cilantro – 1 bunch finely chopped or 2 cups
Parsley – ¼ of a bunch finely chopped or ½ cup
Tomatoes – 1 medium sized tomato de-seeded and chopped
English Cucumber – 1/3 finely diced
Mint – handful finely chopped
Lemon – 1 large lemon or 3T juice
Salt – ¾ t
Pepper – ½ t
Extra Virgin olive oil – 3T
· Put the cracked wheat in a pan with twice the amount of water and let it come to boil. Then shut off gas. Cover it and let it sit for 15 minutes till all water has been absorbed and the grains are plump and cooked. Drain if any water is still left and fluff with a fork. If taking pre-cooked left over cracked/Bulgur wheat or pre-cooked quinoa for a gluten free alternate, take 7T of that for the salad.
· I have de-seeded the tomato so that it does not leave the juice and make the Tabbouleh salad watery.
· Take a large bowl and add all the above ingredients.
· Mix well and refrigerate for half hour if possible for all flavors to settle in. But otherwise it’s ready to eat right away!
· Enjoy with a pita or as a side dish with grilled chicken or vegetables or Falafel!
Total Servings: 6
Per Serving: Calories 88 cal, Fat 7.1 g, Potassium 49.3g, Carbs 6.1g, Vit A 19.2%, Vit C 24.3%