During the weekdays I like to keep things simple for breakfast. So for at least 2-3 days a week my husband I enjoy this simple dish for breakfast. I usually make it on Sunday evenings and then I’m all set for the week! This is not only a very nutritious but also a very filling breakfast dish.
- Steel Cut Organic Oatmeal : ½ cup
- Ground flax seed : 2 tablespoon
- Organic 1% milk : ½ cup
- Organic raw granulated brown sugar : 3 teaspoons
- Chopped walnuts : 1/3 cup
- Organic raisins & dried cranberries : 1/8 cup
- Take 2 cups of water in a pan and heat it till it boils.
- Then add the ½ cup of oatmeal, and lower the heat to medium. Keep it partially covered so it doesn’t bubble over, for 10 minutes.
- Stir it once or twice so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Then add the flax, sugar and milk.
- Cook it for another 5 minutes.
- If it seems too thick you can add another 1/3 – ½ cup water and cook for a minute so that the water doesn’t separate.
- Then remove from the heat.
- Add the walnuts and raisins and cranberries. Mix well.
- This refrigerates really well. You can use it for 5-6 days. If it seems too thick, add some water/milk and just heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds! On the same note it freezes really well also.
Total Servings : 4
Per serving: Calories : 227, Total Fat : 12.7 g, Sat Fat : 1.1 g, Cholesterol : 1.2 g, Carb : 26.2 g, Fiber : 5.9 g, Sugar : 8.8 g, Protein : 8.3 g