Ground turkey kebab burgers happens to be one of the popular brown bagged lunches at my home. I make it at least once every 10 days or so! It is pretty versatile in the sense you can make a proper burger out of it with a bun & all the condiments you like. Or sometimes I just like to make it into a pita burger. You take the pita and cut into 2 halves. In each pocket first put some shredded lettuce & chopped tomato, then just break the burger patty into 2 halves also & smoosh into it. Over that I just put some more lettuce & hot sauce. Viola!
Sometimes if I am in a rush then for my kids lunches, I’ll make pasta with marinara sauce & add a chopped up Kebab burger. Suddenly a plain pasta dish has plenty of protein & a spice kick to it! You can make them a tad bit smaller in size (instead of 7 big ones, close to 9-10 smaller ones from 1 lb ground turkey) and even turn them into sliders. Even smaller sized patties(close to 12-15 tiny ones from 1 lb ground turkey) I usually serve as appetizers with coriander chutney/hot sauce/ketchup. Hopefully you will try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we all do 🙂
• Ground turkey : 1 lb
• Ground flax seed: 2 tablespoon
• Egg white: 1 beaten
• Onion: Finely chopped ½ of a medium onion
• Garlic clove: 2 finely chopped
• Coriander leaves: handful finely chopped
• Salt: 1 ½ teaspoon
• Red chili powder: ½ teaspoon
• Any brand kebab seasoning powder: 1 ½ teaspoon (you can find this at any Indian grocery store or at Amazon OR substitute with 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder & 1/2 teaspoon garam masala OR 1 teaspoon curry powder)
• Extra virgin olive oil: for cooking
• Keep a large cast iron pan on the range at medium heat or start an indoor grill or outdoor grill. Whatever you prefer, before starting to mix ingredients.
• Add all the above ingredients except oil to a mixing bowl.
• Mix all the ingredients well.
• Keep it aside for 5-10 min for flavors to settle in if possible otherwise you can start right away.
• Divide the mixture by hand into approximate 7 equal portions for decent size burgers.
• Add about 2 teaspoon of oil and swirl in the pan to coat the bottom.
• As soon as the pan is hot add about 3 patties and cook for 3-4 min till it brown. Then flip it.
• Now at this point I usually cover the pan and reduce the heat a bit so that the inside can cook as well properly too.
• Remove lid after 2-3 min and cook for a min till both sides look evenly cooked.
• Serve with a toasted bun or if you are like me and trying to reduce simple carb 🙂 just wrap it in 2 layers of lettuce with a slice of tomato and some hot sauce or ketchup or chutney.
These burgers refrigerate and freeze really well. If refrigerated use within 2-3 days. Sometimes I make these in bulk and freeze them also.
Nutritional Content :
Total Servings : 7
Per serving : Calories 130, Fat 7 g, Sat Fat 1.5 g, Protein 15 g, Carbs 4 g, Fiber 2 g