Continuing the trend of perfect summer desserts, this week’s blog post is a super healthy, vegan, gluten-free take on a classic: ice cream! Now I know what you’re thinking – how could ice cream ever be healthy while still tasting good? I thought the same initially, but there were so many days when I couldn’t resist the temptation of creamy frozen goodness that I felt compelled to find an alternative.
This recipe was inspired by the popular Ben and Jerry’s flavor ‘Chunky Monkey,’ a rich banana ice cream with walnuts and fudge chunks. It’s a favorite in my household! My version takes advantage of the natural sugars found in bananas to achieve the classic sweetness found in traditional ice cream. The nuts are optional, but I think that they add a really nice crunch that gives texture to the dish. For those of you who need their daily dose of chocolate, I’ve included the option to add chocolate chips and/or chocolate sauce as needed. And finally, if none of these additions float your boat, feel free to add fresh berries for a twist in flavor!
This recipe is very simple, and does not need any special machines or materials. I promise you that it will satisfy your sweet tooth, cool you down on those 90-degree days, and that you’ll feel fantastic afterwards for not compromising your health 🙂 Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments!
Bananas — 3 medium (ripe)
Organic Unsweetened Oat milk/Almond/Coconut Milk — 2/3 cup
Walnuts — 2 Tbs (chopped)
Almonds — 2 Tbs (chopped)
Mini Chocolate Chips — 2 Tbs
Optional — Chocolate Syrup
• Slice the bananas and freeze them for minimum half a day.
• Add the frozen bananas, milk to the food processor or Nutri Bullet and run till mixture is smooth.
Serving Size: 2 Scoops
Total Servings: 10
Per Serving: 56 cal, Fat 1.9 g, Sat Fat 0.2 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Potassium 147 mg, Carbs 10.2 g, Sugar 6.5 gVit C 6%
Vegan “Chunky Monkey” Ice Cream
- Bananas — 3 medium (ripe)
- Organic Unsweetened Oat milk/Almond milk/Coconut Milk — 2/3 cup
- Walnuts — 2 Tbs (chopped)
- Almonds — 2 Tbs (chopped)
- Mini Chocolate Chips — 2 Tbs
- Optional — Chocolate Syrup
- Slice the bananas and freeze them for minimum half a day.
- Add the frozen bananas, milk to the food processor or Nutri Bullet and run till mixture is smooth.
- Add the nuts, chocolate chips and pulse for a second.
- Pour into a container and freeze for a couple of hours.
- Garnish with chocolate syrup and enjoy!