My mom makes this delicious, healthy, moist carrot cake! This is her recipe with only a few tweaks 🙂 It is perfect to have on a cold, windy, rainy fall day….like today with a hot cup of tea. Most people like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, but I guess I am an anomaly as I prefer mine without it. It is good with walnuts and even without. It is great to have as a snack, breakfast muffin or dessert. But all in all it is a fairly easy, versatile recipe and you can’t go wrong!
All purpose Flour – 1 ¼ cup
Carrots – 1 cup grated
Baking powder – 1 t
Baking soda – ½ t
Cinnamon – ½ t (optional)
Canola oil – 1/3 cup
Sugar – 3/4 cup (if you will be frosting the cupcake then 1/2 cup sugar is enough)
Vanilla extract – ½ t
Walnuts – ¼ cup (optional)
Plain yogurt — 1 cup OR Organic Eggs Whites – 2 large
Milk – 1-2 T
- Preheat the oven to 3500
- Grease and flour a medium sized round pan or put muffin liners in a muffin pan tray.
- Add the sugar, oil, vanilla and yogurt/eggs in the mixer bowl. Mix till well blended.
- Add the carrots and mix a bit.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder to a separate bowl and mix with a fork.
- Add to the above wet mix in the mixer bowl.
- Mix for a few seconds. Add the walnuts at end. Add 1-2 T milk if need be to make batter smooth.
- Pour into the batter in the muffin cups 3/4th of the way and put it in the oven for 20 minutes (in case using a cake pan bake for 35-40 minutes).
- Check with cake tester that middle part is dry and cooked.
- Put the muffin tray/pan on a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes.
Total Servings: 12 muffins or 8 slices of a cake
Per serving (muffin): 174 cal, Fat 7.2 g, Potassium 94 mg, Carbs 24 g, Sugar 14 g, Protein 3.2 g
Per serving (cake slice): 261 cal, Fat 10.8, Potassium 141 mg, Carbs 36 g, Sugar 21 g, Protein 4.8 g